Wednesday, April 22, 2015

First Steps

It is here. It is finally here. Here I go. 

Tomorrow morning I will wake up and ride in a van for an hour. When it stops I will get out of the van, stand in the early morning sun, and I will finally, finally take my very first steps on the Pacific Crest Trail.
It doesn't seem real, but it is here. I'm here now. A year of planning, months of hard work and saving, dozens of training hikes, all for this moment. So much of this hike is dedicated to the many, many people who helped me, encouraged me, supported me, believed in me, and continue to do those things every day. But these first steps...these are for me.

I made a big decision a little while ago.
I don't remember what it was, which prob'ly goes to show
That many times a simple choice can prove to be essential
Even though it often might appear inconsequential.

I must have been distracted when I left my home because
Left or right I'm sure I went. (I wonder which it was!)
Anyway, I never veered: I walked in that direction
Utterly absorbed, it seems, in quiet introspection.

For no reason I can think of, I've wandered far astray.
And that is how I got to where I find myself today.

A poem by Mr. Bill Watterson.
Thank you for your words and your wisdom and your eternal childlike spirit.



No comments:

Post a Comment